This is Part 1 of the Coaching Series titled The 5 Hurdles to Maximum Impact. Today we kick off the introduction that paves the way for the series.
The 6 Stages of Development
- The cycle begins again with each new phase of our life.
- These Stages take time to grow into and through.
- Sometimes we get stuck on a Stage for a season. Without a vision we get stuck forever.
The 6 Stages
1. Dependence – You Do It
- Unable to solve your own problems or make your own decisions.
- Upside – There is only one way you can go.
- Downside – If you don’t, you will always be dependent on others to meet your needs.
2. Independence – I Do It
- You can make your own decisions and take care of your own basic needs.
- Upside – You are no longer dependent on others; they are freed from that burden.
- Downside – If you don’t progress, you will always desire to operating on your own terms.
3. Inter-dependence – We Do It
- Seeks Win/Win relationships through pursuing a common purpose.
- Upside – Consolidated efforts yield greater returns. We can do more together.
- Downside – If strong leadership is absent, the individuals will revert to the independence stage.
4. Mastery – We Do It Well
- The pursuit of excellence drives your daily habits helping you maximize results.
- Upside – Becoming exceptional at a specific skill can set you apart from the pack.
- Downside – If you don’t use that skill to get results, it will not be noticed.
5. Credibility – We Did It
- Proven competence in your area of expertise leads to trustworthiness and opportunities.
- Upside – People think well of you and want to join your cause.
- Downside – You are one mistake away from potentially losing it.
6. Maximum Impact – Lets Do More
- Management adds, Leadership multiplies.
- Upside – You and your team can change the world on a larger scale.
- Downside – Continued progress demands greater oversight.